It looks like I’m in for a serious Legion wallow. This is long overdue. Brace for obsession.
I randomly started with the Threeboot (Waid 2004) since I barely remembered it. Ten issues in and it’s still pretty great; iirc it falls apart later, but this is Mark Waid doing good stuff. Triplicate Girl’s origin is wonky, but there are so many nifty bits: an ideal Shadow Lass, delightful Light Lass, appropriately cranky Brainy (his speech about the potential of Light Lass’s and Star Boy’s powers is gold), Dreamy flirting with him which makes me giggle in every incarnation.... I have to look back and see if I was commenting in this at the time, but with over a decade’s (!) perspective, it’s really damn good.
Bendis could do worse than this model: characters retain their names and powers, but there’s no attempt to recreate the original storylines like the first Reboot. Relationships and some personalities shifted (Shady/Ultra Boy, Cos is a lot more commanding), and that avoids some of the inevitable deja vu that accompanies every new version of the Legion.
I might just continue through to the Lightning Saga and Legion of Three Worlds and the Retroboot, though I do remember some things in there I’d rather not revisit (Earth Man), and at some point post-new 52* it got so bad I quit buying the Legion for the first time since I started collecting every former and current published issue of the team in 1997 or so. And then it will be time for selective reread of my favorite era, the Levitz run of the ‘80s.
* I typed ew-52. Also accurate.
Hi again, Legion. I’ve missed you.
I randomly started with the Threeboot (Waid 2004) since I barely remembered it. Ten issues in and it’s still pretty great; iirc it falls apart later, but this is Mark Waid doing good stuff. Triplicate Girl’s origin is wonky, but there are so many nifty bits: an ideal Shadow Lass, delightful Light Lass, appropriately cranky Brainy (his speech about the potential of Light Lass’s and Star Boy’s powers is gold), Dreamy flirting with him which makes me giggle in every incarnation.... I have to look back and see if I was commenting in this at the time, but with over a decade’s (!) perspective, it’s really damn good.
Bendis could do worse than this model: characters retain their names and powers, but there’s no attempt to recreate the original storylines like the first Reboot. Relationships and some personalities shifted (Shady/Ultra Boy, Cos is a lot more commanding), and that avoids some of the inevitable deja vu that accompanies every new version of the Legion.
I might just continue through to the Lightning Saga and Legion of Three Worlds and the Retroboot, though I do remember some things in there I’d rather not revisit (Earth Man), and at some point post-new 52* it got so bad I quit buying the Legion for the first time since I started collecting every former and current published issue of the team in 1997 or so. And then it will be time for selective reread of my favorite era, the Levitz run of the ‘80s.
* I typed ew-52. Also accurate.
Hi again, Legion. I’ve missed you.