kerithwyn: Rainbow tears of fandom love (Rainbow tears)
[personal profile] kerithwyn
Yes, I am watching Yuri!!! on Ice, having been thoroughly pimped at Escapade. It is charming and delightful and will probably only be a passing flirtation rather than a fandom love, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

So, er, I went to Escapade, and it was excellent as always, even if I didn't necessarily come away with a renewed fire to write again; that's up to me to rediscover. Still trying to decide on ConneXions and VividCon, which are also all about seeing people rather than the specific panels and activities--sing out if you'll be there!

As usual still watching ALL THE SHOWS. Just a few:

* In the love-to-hate and hate-to-love category, The Magicians, which is problematic from the start (rape and more rape so rapey) and yet, the characters, I adore them. (Margo is totally the Cordelia and I heart her. FITE ME.)

* All the superhero shows continue to entertain, more or less, though Barry is still the dumbest smart guy on tv. But GORILLAS, which made the season. Far more entertaining than speed force angst. Cannot wait for the singing Supergirl crossover. Speaking of, Alex/Maggie 4Ever, though am already bored with Kara/Mon-El (ugh, so many ways that doesn't work) and holding out hope that he will be just one in a long string of Supergirl's Weird Boyfriends--that's traditional! Iron Fist dropped today and I'm looking forward to diving in, despite early critical reviews--though I'm not expecting it to wow me like the other Netflix shows have.

* Also especially enjoyed this/last season: Crazy Ex Girlfriend, The Good Place, Star Wars Rebels, and Lucifer (mostly for his voice, I must admit). Behind on Black Sails and The Expanse, among other things. Eagerly awaiting the return of Killjoys and Wynonna Earp.

Reading: Finished Octavia Butler's Xenogenesis series and now want to read everything else she wrote, but I need a break first. Amazing but 100% about consent, and how easy it is to lose it, and what happens when you don't even realize you've lost your choices. Also finished the Shades of Magic series for the sake of finishing--not bad, love the core conceit, but fell into the "hey, I really don't like or care about these characters." (OTOH, Olivia Dunham is the Antari of Grey Boston, so there.)

Next up are Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant #2) and Magic for Nothing (InCryptid #6), but first a reread of American Gods before the show, and because I felt like it.

*back to watching Yuri*

Date: 2017-03-17 06:13 pm (UTC)
elfin: image:  olivia;  text: invincible (Default)
From: [personal profile] elfin
Ah, I love the Rivers of London books. Peter's such an amazing dork.

Date: 2017-03-17 06:23 pm (UTC)
monanotlisa: symbol, image, ttrpg, party, pun about rolling dice and getting rolling (Default)
From: [personal profile] monanotlisa
It is charming and delightful

Aw! I tried to buy it on the internet, but seem to be unable to find a source (pay-source for streaming, I mean).

In the love-to-hate and hate-to-love category, The Magicians, which is problematic from the start (rape and more rape so rapey) and yet, the characters, I adore them. (Margo is totally the Cordelia and I heart her. FITE ME.)

God, the show is SO BAD ABOUT RAPE; it boggles my mind. It's not the levels of Conventionally Misogynist, like GOT, which I stopped watching; it's...trying something else but still ending up rape-y. And I don't even think the characters are pleasant people; the only one I love, love, love is Julia (and I'm fond of Penny and Margot, who is totally a modern Cordelia, you're right).



Date: 2017-03-17 07:41 pm (UTC)
monanotlisa: symbol, image, ttrpg, party, pun about rolling dice and getting rolling (Default)
From: [personal profile] monanotlisa
the characters on The Magicians are often failboat people, which is one of the reasons I like the show

You know, I guess one of the problems I have with Quentin is that I see a liiittle bit too much of myself in him...and not enough of myself (or any real girl) in Alice.

And while I find the rape aspects unpleasant, obviously, at least the show is trying to deal with them in a different manner--Julia's clear and present PSTD, for one.

Yeah, that's true; the show manages to convey that her choices are both humanly understandable but Not Okay morally -- generally, I think the show does give her agency; it's just a questionable authorial choice to make two characters that chose a dark path having been raped before.

That said, I do want to watch Season Two; The Magicians is a super-compelling show on all other levels. But it's not squee- or rec-worthy to me (except with caveats; the meta narrative is AMAZEBALLS, like you say).

Date: 2017-03-18 01:40 am (UTC)
umadoshi: (Fringe - Olivia looking up (graphicstogo)
From: [personal profile] umadoshi
Olivia Dunham is the Antari of Grey Boston, so there.

Ooooh. Yes, please!

Date: 2017-03-18 02:38 pm (UTC)
thissugarcane: dino comics (Default)
From: [personal profile] thissugarcane
wow, I am in awe of your ability to keep up with TV! I always say I'm going to watch something, and then I start, and it looks like it's going to be sad, or hard to watch, or whatever, and I bail.

(Anything unabashedly cheerful you've been watching or reading lately? I can handle pieces of angst/sad as long as they aren't that long or romantic pining, but I, like. I have no emotional resiliency for watching characters die or betray each other any more. so sense8 is good, 1st season Lost Girl good till the last ep.)

also hi! :D

Date: 2017-03-19 07:03 pm (UTC)
thissugarcane: dino comics (Default)
From: [personal profile] thissugarcane
I rewatch Leverage on a regular basis. ;) Librarians, noted. And I have Supergirl on the netflix list! Can I watch it without really. like. knowing, anything about Superman or Supergirl? Cause the very limited DC knowledge about Justice League I've got, mostly comes from your fanfic. (and The Good Place! Wonder if that's on netflix yet? I'll make a note to try and find it.)

Thank you!! I want to get into new stuff, but just can't handle heartbreak or badness, on tv, anymore. IDK why.

(eta:) Basically if it isn't as "nice" as Miss Fisher, or something, I find it too painful to watch. or something.
Edited Date: 2017-03-19 07:03 pm (UTC)

Date: 2017-03-20 05:31 pm (UTC)
thissugarcane: dino comics (Default)
From: [personal profile] thissugarcane
Okay, I was pretty sure I didn't need to know anything about DC to watch it but just checking, thanks! And since all I know about Justice League, really, I learned from the Young Justice cartoon... ;) also I saw you'd gotten sucked into Yuri on Ice. *g* Maybe I'll see if I can catch it, but, if I've only got access to netflix.

Date: 2017-03-20 08:36 pm (UTC)
destina: (Default)
From: [personal profile] destina
I will be at VVC! At least this year I will be.

Date: 2017-03-21 01:21 pm (UTC)
lola: wow she's going super crazy (Default)
From: [personal profile] lola
Hi!! Sorry only to be belatedly catching up on DW and such after Escapade but it was so great to hang out and get to know you! And I am excited that you're on board with Yuri! I think because it is so short and sweet, it is something that's likely to be a fondly thought of short term love rather than a lasting fandom, for me as well, but it's lovely and potent all the same!

You're making me wonder if I should go back to the Magicians to give it another try... I had such mixed feelings!!

Have you tried The Good Fight?

(Also, rooting for you to come to VVC!)

Date: 2017-03-29 01:08 am (UTC)
paintedmaypole: (Default)
From: [personal profile] paintedmaypole
Oh man, I haven't watched any of the new season of The Magicians and you're reminding me that I NEEEEEEED to.

Also, I am thrilled to hear that Yuri continues to be a part of your life. :)

Profile

kerithwyn: Oracle (Default)
kerithwyn

January 2025

S M T W T F S
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122 232425
262728293031 

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 22nd, 2026 03:46 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios