Great, great episode, probably my second-favorite of the season after "One Night in October." Jasika Nicole deserves all the praise she's getting, and more.
Okay, so the FotW got ahold of an Observer's time-watching device and is using it to "save" people from impending pain. As usual, ties into the overarching plot, but I'm just not interested in his personal story.
Alt!Astrid on the other side. Wow, this rocks. Assuming she's got an unseen FBI escort to the lab because I don't believe anyone's letting alternate-universe agents wander around unsupervised. I wonder how many people know about the Bridge by now, and how long they can expect it to remain a secret?
(Note to self: finish your alt!Astrid fic. It wasn't even jossed by this episode.)
Helllllo, alt!Lincoln. I miss your stubble dreadfully. Like Liv's empathy here, it's a nice moment. Also, I still can't reconcile concerned!Broyles with one who's willingly working with Jones; still betting on blackmail of some kind.
WALTER: I miss the other one.
PETER: I'm almost afraid to ask.
WALTER: Boy. The other boy. He doesn't starve me.
PETER: Which other boy?
WALTER: The one who plays chess.
PETER: Lincoln?
WALTER: That's the one. I prefer him.
-- *DIES. TWICE.* That is just hilarious in so many ways. Almost worth Lincoln's absence otherwise.
PETER: Well, Lincoln's not here, Walter. He's in Hartford. It's his goddaughter's birthday. Remember? And I’d be happy to play with you after we finish our work.
-- cheers for continuity! I'm so glad for that line, Lincoln keeping ties with the family that he'd found, despite Robert's death.
ASTRID: I don't think what he meant was "I'll call you." I think what he meant was "I'll never call you."
-- oh, hey! A throwaway line that I'm interpreting as Astrid having had a date that didn't go so well. But signs of a social life outside the lab, woo!
(Note to self: that cracky pairing you have in mind for Astrid? Perhaps not so cracky.)
The scene with the two Astrids is amazing and I'm watching it on repeat a couple of times. *enthralled* Astrid's scream! "I always wondered why nobody does that." That Astrid's first impulse is to put her hands out to her double, which...dawwwwwwww.
AGENT FARNSWORTH: I thought I would come here. I didn't know where to go after. Mother might have had traditions for such occasions, but I don't know. I don't remember her. My mother died of cancer when I was a girl. Did yours as well?
ASTRID: Yes.
-- More back story fill! Although I am not particularly pleased that Astrid, Olivia, and Peter (and most likely, Lincoln) are saddled with the "Dead Mother" trope.
Alt!Astrid talking about her father's funeral is breaking my heart. Again.
Also *headbang* Astrid's double shows up, and she immediately goes out on a case? You'd think they would have let her off the hook for this one. Sheesh.
"Kirk out." bwa!
OLIVIA: Well, everybody has somebody who wants to kill them.
-- *ANVIL*
BOLIVIA: Oh. Isn't this a party? Hey, girls.
-- *laughs* Liv is just...flippy and sassy all over this episode, flirting and making herself at home. It's definitely a defense mechanism about being out of her own territory, but it looks good on her.
WALTER (about alt!Astrid): I think I love her.
-- Tell your own Astrid that, Walter.
BOLIVIA: Wow. I really got to you, didn't I, Walter? Did you ever consider that perhaps it's because you enjoyed having me around? Admit it. You like me, Walter.
-- and the look on his face says yes, he did.
AGENT FARNSWORTH: Does he always do all the jobs?
-- ha. Okay, -1 for Peter stepping on Olivia's authority, but I'm chalking it up to his impatience to be done with the case and get back to his own concerns.
Oh, man, alt!Astrid and Walter's conversation:
AGENT FARNSWORTH: In that case, wouldn't it be preferable if you chose to believe he was your son? And then you could love him and be happy.
-- yeaaaaaaaaaah.
BOLIVIA: (re Peter) Secretary's son. He's cute, huh? Bet he's all contradictory and tricky like his Dad.
OLIVIA: Yeah, I imagine he's just your type.
BOLIVIA: Actually, no. Turns out I like the nice guys.
-- "..." "!!!" On so many levels.
(Note to self: why is it the only Olivia/Liv bunny you actually have is a giant AU thing you know you'll never write?)
"You're welcome, sweetie," and Astrid's doubletake. ahahaha.
(Note to self: this is the perfect episode for that Astrid/Liv drabble.)
Liv, poking at Walter. So adorable.
No TSA on the other side? If not for the vortexes, it'd be a good place to live. They have daily flights to the moon!
Alt!Astrid's faaaace with the coffee!
...Reiden Lake again. We have found the Nexus of All Realities.
AGENT FARNSWORTH: My father... I cannot get the thought out of my mind that... that I couldn't give him what he wanted because of the way that I am. That he secretly wished I could love him back in a way that he could understand. Do you think if I were more like you, he would've loved me more? If I was normal?
-- *weep* *ALL THE EMMYS*
hee, the return of Olivia's lockpicks!
Olivia shoots! She kills! It's a good shoot--suicide by cop.
OLIVIA: Peter. I know it's taken me some getting used to, but as long as you're stuck here, you make a good partner.
-- yeaaaaaaaah. Getting closer to the previous timeline every moment.
Walter's HUG omg. *flail!*
WALTER: You may possess positive qualities that I previously overlooked.
BOLIVIA: Are you flirting with me?
WALTER: In your dreams.
-- I love them both so much right now.
ASTRID: What you said before... my father... we're not very close either. He's a very complex man. He doesn't really show emotion. He does the best with the tools he has. That's just how he is. I know he loves me. At least, that's what I tell myself, even though it doesn't really seem that way. You shouldn't regret that you could've been more for him. It wasn't you.
-- okay, so my first reaction was awwww! And then in light of the coda: Who knew Astrid was such a good liar? Someone postulated that she was talking about Walter in this scene, which is where she gets the emotion to sell it, but...I'm left a little disturbed, in the end. Wanting to comfort her alternate is a fine impulse, but to resort to a lie to do it? Doesn't end up sitting well.
The coda: Astrid does have a dad! Who has an awesome apron and cooks for his baby girl! "Well, look who's here" indicates to me that she doesn't live there; I have a key to my parents' house too. It's just nice to see she has someone to support her outside the lab.
MARCH: It appears that September did not obey your instructions. The boy is back. Peter Bishop has returned.
-- To me, proof that we are in the right universe, just an altered timeline. Now all they have to do is get their memories back and all my fic will be prophetic. ;)
ETA, from the producers:
Speaking of our team being replaced by shapeshifters, now that Kirk Acevedo (Charlie) is no longer committed to PRIME SUSPECT, can we expect Charlie to return?
JP: We have been in contact with Kirk and his representatives, but beyond that, it would be unfair to say. We love Kirk.
...in other words, no Charlie today. Charlie tomorrow? We can keep hope for Charlie tomorrow.
Okay, so the FotW got ahold of an Observer's time-watching device and is using it to "save" people from impending pain. As usual, ties into the overarching plot, but I'm just not interested in his personal story.
Alt!Astrid on the other side. Wow, this rocks. Assuming she's got an unseen FBI escort to the lab because I don't believe anyone's letting alternate-universe agents wander around unsupervised. I wonder how many people know about the Bridge by now, and how long they can expect it to remain a secret?
(Note to self: finish your alt!Astrid fic. It wasn't even jossed by this episode.)
Helllllo, alt!Lincoln. I miss your stubble dreadfully. Like Liv's empathy here, it's a nice moment. Also, I still can't reconcile concerned!Broyles with one who's willingly working with Jones; still betting on blackmail of some kind.
WALTER: I miss the other one.
PETER: I'm almost afraid to ask.
WALTER: Boy. The other boy. He doesn't starve me.
PETER: Which other boy?
WALTER: The one who plays chess.
PETER: Lincoln?
WALTER: That's the one. I prefer him.
-- *DIES. TWICE.* That is just hilarious in so many ways. Almost worth Lincoln's absence otherwise.
PETER: Well, Lincoln's not here, Walter. He's in Hartford. It's his goddaughter's birthday. Remember? And I’d be happy to play with you after we finish our work.
-- cheers for continuity! I'm so glad for that line, Lincoln keeping ties with the family that he'd found, despite Robert's death.
ASTRID: I don't think what he meant was "I'll call you." I think what he meant was "I'll never call you."
-- oh, hey! A throwaway line that I'm interpreting as Astrid having had a date that didn't go so well. But signs of a social life outside the lab, woo!
(Note to self: that cracky pairing you have in mind for Astrid? Perhaps not so cracky.)
The scene with the two Astrids is amazing and I'm watching it on repeat a couple of times. *enthralled* Astrid's scream! "I always wondered why nobody does that." That Astrid's first impulse is to put her hands out to her double, which...dawwwwwwww.
AGENT FARNSWORTH: I thought I would come here. I didn't know where to go after. Mother might have had traditions for such occasions, but I don't know. I don't remember her. My mother died of cancer when I was a girl. Did yours as well?
ASTRID: Yes.
-- More back story fill! Although I am not particularly pleased that Astrid, Olivia, and Peter (and most likely, Lincoln) are saddled with the "Dead Mother" trope.
Alt!Astrid talking about her father's funeral is breaking my heart. Again.
Also *headbang* Astrid's double shows up, and she immediately goes out on a case? You'd think they would have let her off the hook for this one. Sheesh.
"Kirk out." bwa!
OLIVIA: Well, everybody has somebody who wants to kill them.
-- *ANVIL*
BOLIVIA: Oh. Isn't this a party? Hey, girls.
-- *laughs* Liv is just...flippy and sassy all over this episode, flirting and making herself at home. It's definitely a defense mechanism about being out of her own territory, but it looks good on her.
WALTER (about alt!Astrid): I think I love her.
-- Tell your own Astrid that, Walter.
BOLIVIA: Wow. I really got to you, didn't I, Walter? Did you ever consider that perhaps it's because you enjoyed having me around? Admit it. You like me, Walter.
-- and the look on his face says yes, he did.
AGENT FARNSWORTH: Does he always do all the jobs?
-- ha. Okay, -1 for Peter stepping on Olivia's authority, but I'm chalking it up to his impatience to be done with the case and get back to his own concerns.
Oh, man, alt!Astrid and Walter's conversation:
AGENT FARNSWORTH: In that case, wouldn't it be preferable if you chose to believe he was your son? And then you could love him and be happy.
-- yeaaaaaaaaaah.
BOLIVIA: (re Peter) Secretary's son. He's cute, huh? Bet he's all contradictory and tricky like his Dad.
OLIVIA: Yeah, I imagine he's just your type.
BOLIVIA: Actually, no. Turns out I like the nice guys.
-- "..." "!!!" On so many levels.
(Note to self: why is it the only Olivia/Liv bunny you actually have is a giant AU thing you know you'll never write?)
"You're welcome, sweetie," and Astrid's doubletake. ahahaha.
(Note to self: this is the perfect episode for that Astrid/Liv drabble.)
Liv, poking at Walter. So adorable.
No TSA on the other side? If not for the vortexes, it'd be a good place to live. They have daily flights to the moon!
Alt!Astrid's faaaace with the coffee!
...Reiden Lake again. We have found the Nexus of All Realities.
AGENT FARNSWORTH: My father... I cannot get the thought out of my mind that... that I couldn't give him what he wanted because of the way that I am. That he secretly wished I could love him back in a way that he could understand. Do you think if I were more like you, he would've loved me more? If I was normal?
-- *weep* *ALL THE EMMYS*
hee, the return of Olivia's lockpicks!
Olivia shoots! She kills! It's a good shoot--suicide by cop.
OLIVIA: Peter. I know it's taken me some getting used to, but as long as you're stuck here, you make a good partner.
-- yeaaaaaaaah. Getting closer to the previous timeline every moment.
Walter's HUG omg. *flail!*
WALTER: You may possess positive qualities that I previously overlooked.
BOLIVIA: Are you flirting with me?
WALTER: In your dreams.
-- I love them both so much right now.
ASTRID: What you said before... my father... we're not very close either. He's a very complex man. He doesn't really show emotion. He does the best with the tools he has. That's just how he is. I know he loves me. At least, that's what I tell myself, even though it doesn't really seem that way. You shouldn't regret that you could've been more for him. It wasn't you.
-- okay, so my first reaction was awwww! And then in light of the coda: Who knew Astrid was such a good liar? Someone postulated that she was talking about Walter in this scene, which is where she gets the emotion to sell it, but...I'm left a little disturbed, in the end. Wanting to comfort her alternate is a fine impulse, but to resort to a lie to do it? Doesn't end up sitting well.
The coda: Astrid does have a dad! Who has an awesome apron and cooks for his baby girl! "Well, look who's here" indicates to me that she doesn't live there; I have a key to my parents' house too. It's just nice to see she has someone to support her outside the lab.
MARCH: It appears that September did not obey your instructions. The boy is back. Peter Bishop has returned.
-- To me, proof that we are in the right universe, just an altered timeline. Now all they have to do is get their memories back and all my fic will be prophetic. ;)
ETA, from the producers:
Speaking of our team being replaced by shapeshifters, now that Kirk Acevedo (Charlie) is no longer committed to PRIME SUSPECT, can we expect Charlie to return?
JP: We have been in contact with Kirk and his representatives, but beyond that, it would be unfair to say. We love Kirk.
...in other words, no Charlie today. Charlie tomorrow? We can keep hope for Charlie tomorrow.
no subject
Date: 2012-02-08 08:11 pm (UTC)...and suddenly, I'm having thinky thoughts about the fact that the splash color for this season is amber. Bad Robot is much too detail-y and easter egg-y to let that be a coincidence.
Good to know that I'm not the only one who thought that.
no subject
Date: 2012-02-08 08:58 pm (UTC)Okay, good. Aside from all the other issues--these two universes have a distinct lack of trust between them already. Too much to compound with a lie, even a white one.
no subject
Date: 2012-02-08 09:06 pm (UTC)On the other hand, as you pointed out, it sounded like she wasn't always at his house. Maybe she's trying to reconnect, especially after talking to alt!astrid?
no subject
Date: 2012-02-08 09:14 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-02-08 11:04 pm (UTC)Fiend of the Week?
Alt!Astrid on the other side. Wow, this rocks. Assuming she's got an unseen FBI escort to the lab because I don't believe anyone's letting alternate-universe agents wander around unsupervised. I wonder how many people know about the Bridge by now, and how long they can expect it to remain a secret?
Unlikely, you're right.
(Note to self: finish your alt!Astrid fic. It wasn't even jossed by this episode.)
YES PLEASE I WILL GLADLY HOLD YOUR HAND FOR IT TOO!
Also, I still can't reconcile concerned!Broyles with one who's willingly working with Jones; still betting on blackmail of some kind.
Reason, definitely. Not your garden-variety evil-overlord drive.
WALTER: I miss the other one.
PETER: I'm almost afraid to ask.
WALTER: Boy. The other boy. He doesn't starve me.
PETER: Which other boy?
WALTER: The one who plays chess.
PETER: Lincoln?
WALTER: That's the one. I prefer him.
-- *DIES. TWICE.* That is just hilarious in so many ways. Almost worth Lincoln's absence otherwise.
Look, the writers do meta too. *g*
Well, Lincoln's not here, Walter. He's in Hartford. It's his goddaughter's birthday. Remember? And I’d be happy to play with you after we finish our work.
-- cheers for continuity! I'm so glad for that line, Lincoln keeping ties with the family that he'd found, despite Robert's death.
I was so happy, 'rith. It all gives me hope we'll get out of this Season with our beloved ones alive. Almost.
(Note to self: that cracky pairing you have in mind for Astrid? Perhaps not so cracky.)
...okay, I am officially intrigued now!
The scene with the two Astrids is amazing and I'm watching it on repeat a couple of times. *enthralled* Astrid's scream! "I always wondered why nobody does that."
*giggle* Olivia's deadpan there was pitch-perfect.
That Astrid's first impulse is to put her hands out to her double, which...dawwwwwwww.
I KNOW RIGHT? All the others are like, *frown* - *stare* - *smirk* - *snark*. Astrid is like, ♥ ♥ ♥
-- More back story fill! Although I am not particularly pleased that Astrid, Olivia, and Peter (and most likely, Lincoln) are saddled with the "Dead Mother" trope.
Hadn't noticed. Not pleased either.
BOLIVIA: Oh. Isn't this a party? Hey, girls.
-- *laughs* Liv is just...flippy and sassy all over this episode, flirting and making herself at home. It's definitely a defense mechanism about being out of her own territory, but it looks good on her.
Yes, but then again, EVERYTHING DOES. I prefer our Olivia, if I have to choose, but God damn. The hair. The saunter. Yes.
Oh, man, alt!Astrid and Walter's conversation:
AGENT FARNSWORTH: In that case, wouldn't it be preferable if you chose to believe he was your son? And then you could love him and be happy.
-- yeaaaaaaaaaah.
Srsly.
OLIVIA: (re Peter) Secretary's son. He's cute, huh? Bet he's all contradictory and tricky like his Dad.
OLIVIA: Yeah, I imagine he's just your type.
BOLIVIA: Actually, no. Turns out I like the nice guys.
-- "..." "!!!" On so many levels.
DEFINITELY an Alt!Liv/Lincoln storyline, finally. Now, you know my feelings there...
(Note to self: this is the perfect episode for that Astrid/Liv drabble.)
SO WRITE IT, GIRL!
AGENT FARNSWORTH: My father... I cannot get the thought out of my mind that... that I couldn't give him what he wanted because of the way that I am. That he secretly wished I could love him back in a way that he could understand. Do you think if I were more like you, he would've loved me more? If I was normal?
-- *weep* *ALL THE EMMYS*
ALL OF THEM. Oh, God.
<3
Olivia shoots! She kills! It's a good shoot--suicide by cop.
She kills quite a bit. I don't disapprove; I just really notice.
OLIVIA: Peter. I know it's taken me some getting used to, but as long as you're stuck here, you make a good partner.
-- yeaaaaaaaah. Getting closer to the previous timeline every moment.
Peter is all, DO NOT WANT, while Olivia is like, *HUGS*?
ASTRID: What you said before... my father... we're not very close either. He's a very complex man. He doesn't really show emotion. He does the best with the tools he has. That's just how he is. I know he loves me. At least, that's what I tell myself, even though it doesn't really seem that way. You shouldn't regret that you could've been more for him. It wasn't you.
-- okay, so my first reaction was awwww! And then in light of the coda: Who knew Astrid was such a good liar? Someone postulated that she was talking about Walter in this scene, which is where she gets the emotion to sell it, but...I'm left a little disturbed, in the end. Wanting to comfort her alternate is a fine impulse, but to resort to a lie to do it? Doesn't end up sitting well.
It worked really well for me, mostly because it added nuance to Astrid. It's not the kind of lie that breaks anything; it is not plot-related or romance-oriented, which are where misrepresentations of the truth in tv shows make me pelt the idiot box with tomatoes. It felt very, very human to me.
(Shiitake happens, man.)
MARCH: It appears that September did not obey your instructions. The boy is back. Peter Bishop has returned.
-- To me, proof that we are in the right universe, just an altered timeline. Now all they have to do is get their memories back and all my fic will be prophetic. ;)
Heh.
...in other words, no Charlie today. Charlie tomorrow? We can keep hope for Charlie tomorrow.
Sign me up for sure, girl.
no subject
Date: 2012-02-09 02:37 pm (UTC)There's probably a huge story to be told about the secret of the alternate universe getting out to both worlds' populations; some nosy reporter is gonna notice all the FBI/military traffic around the Statue, or one of the nameless guards or scientists will leak the story.
Thank you for the offer of hand-holding, it might become necessary. ;)
Shiitake does indeed happen. *g* It didn't necessarily feel out of character for Astrid, it just kind of put me off.
no subject
Date: 2012-02-08 11:50 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-02-09 02:31 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-02-08 11:32 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-02-09 02:21 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-02-09 12:41 am (UTC)Just my $00.02. :)
no subject
Date: 2012-02-09 02:22 pm (UTC)