kerithwyn: Oracle (Default)
[personal profile] kerithwyn
Coming in late, didn't watch until last night. WOE.

Quick summary: Suffers from a terminal lack of LINCOLN*. Saved by a huge amount of backstory implications and those of that ending.

(I am fully aware that I sound like the dog in the commercial: BACON! LINCOLN! LINCOLNNNNN! ...but he's just that delicious!)


Going from transcript, no time to rewatch. Thanks again, Fringepedia!

OLIVIA: Walter, do you think that I'm causing this... like when I was a child and I set fire to the room?
-- So, Olivia was still part of trials and she manifested the pyrokinesis. We're slowly getting enough to construct an Amber'verse timeline.

Time shifts. V interesting! I'm still not sure if we're going to get another reset--this show has done that before, as far back as "White Tulip"-- but oh, so many things I'd hate to lose in this variant: Olivia's relationships with Walter and Astrid and Nina (!) and Lincoln most of all.

WALTER: Belly always theorized that the Cortexiphan children would share a psychic link, a deep emotional bond because of their shared experience.
-- and all their powers are tied to emotion: Olivia's love and fear, Nick's self-loathing, Cameron's anxiety.

WALTER: But I can say that... some of the children didn't handle the treatments as well as you did. Some had adverse reactions... emotionally. You were always the strongest. The others recognized that. You were always their favorite.
-- Olivia, always the Chosen One.

NINA: This is not Massive Dynamic's concern. We create technology. How it is used is not our concern. We just own the patents.
-- Some people were like, wow, suddenly Nina has no ethics! And I say, wow, were you not watching before? See "Of Human Action" and the room full of Tylers.

So much hatred between Walter and Nina. Innnnnteresting. hm. If Olivia never crossed over under her own power, what DID happen to William Bell? Is he still in Red'verse?

NINA: So you told me about the Fringe Event, but I think you left something out. It's happening to you, isn't it? (motherly) Now, come on. I haven't seen this much fear in your face since Bobby Hastings asked you to the prom. So what can I do to help you, dear?
-- HOLY CRAP WHAT. WHAT IS THIS RELATIONSHIP.

...actually, I have a thought on that, and it's not pleasant. So: Olivia runs away from the trials. Bell calls up Nina and says, "Look, one of our lab rats got away and it'd be counter-productive to drag her back. Keep an eye on her, would you?" Nina finds Olivia and works her way into the girl's life as a friendly guardian and mentor, all to keep an eye on her in case any powers activate. -- I said it wasn't nice. Nina isn't that nice. (And hey, she would totally be able to fix things so Olivia was never prosecuted for killing her stepfather, too.)

OLIVIA: I left. I ran away. Walter said he and Bell shut it down a few years after that.
-- More strange timing. Olivia was in the program at three ("Bad Dreams") and I'd thought the program was shut down for a couple of years before it was reactivated so Walter could try to send Peter home ("Subject 13").

Oh, Walter. (repeat, often.)

WALTER: I suppose it is. Elizabeth, my wife, used to say I was a man of contradictions. She liked that about me. I liked everything about her. She committed suicide. Did you know that? After our Peter died. I'm glad she never knew me like this... afraid of things I can't even see.
-- that tracks, sadly. Elizabeth seemed pretty fragile, and in the previous timeline she held up long enough to see Peter grown. Here, she had nothing to hold to.

Walter and Olivia's talk, with root beer floats. All the Emmys, where are they?

CAMERON JAMES: If I was hiding, I would've moved. Cameron James was my father's name. He was the one who signed me up for those experiments, made me use his name so he could access that pathetic trust fund they gave us. He took money from you so you could pump me full of drugs, then turned around and spent it on drugs himself.
-- Olivia's face suggests that her stepfather siphoned off her money too. huh. But she remembers her biological father, and I'd always guessed that meant he was the one who signed her up for the trials initially.

CAMERON JAMES: Have you heard about any of the others?
OLIVIA: No. Have you?
-- And if Olivia never crossed over to rescue Peter, Nick Lane is still alive. I cling to this! People, write moar Nick Lane fic, plz.

So Cameron's just a maguffin for this episode. Good job on not dying, though!

Hello, naked Peter! Perfect reentry point, literally a rebirth.

Damn, I was hoping the doctor in the hospital would be Frank Stanton. ;)

PETER: Olivia. Thank God you're here.
OLIVIA: Who are you?

-- ahahha. hahaha. Oh. My reaction to that is probably terribly inappropriate. But I just can't help it!

As people all over the internets have noted, this season has proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that Olivia is fine, just fine, without Peter. If the romance is re-introduced, fine, I can live with it (the alternatives are what fanfic is for); what I really don't want is a shift toward "that hole in Olivia's life, that is where Peter belongs, and nothing and no one else can fill it." Because I call bullshit, as already proven.



Also, I am always a late adopter, so just when everyone is fleeing delicious I finally started keeping a Fringe fic list there. Mostly Lincoln fic, natch. (And now, a moral dilemma: it's more a collection than a recs list, so...do I include my own fic? That feels weird, but to be complete.... Dunno!)

Chances are I'm about to lose internets for the week starting tomorrow, so...catch y'all in a few days, I hope.

Date: 2011-10-16 11:25 pm (UTC)
monanotlisa: symbol, image, ttrpg, party, pun about rolling dice and getting rolling (Default)
From: [personal profile] monanotlisa
Nina finds Olivia and works her way into the girl's life as a friendly guardian and mentor, all to keep an eye on her in case any powers activate. -- I said it wasn't nice. Nina isn't that nice. (And hey, she would totally be able to fix things so Olivia was never prosecuted for killing her stepfather, too.)

Oh, I positively adore this theory! Walter wasn't happy to see her leave, but I guess it would take more of a strategic mastermind like Nina to actually go and keep tabs on her. This definitely plays into the lecture she was giving to all those bright young minds: MD is about science and its instruments...

So Cameron's just a maguffin for this episode. Good job on not dying, though!

For obvious reasons, I was pretty scared. But this ain't Spooks. Dear God, that show kills you off if your skin is brown faster than you can say espionage.

Perfect reentry point, literally a rebirth.

I loved that element too (but forgot where I waxed lyrically about it ;).

PETER: Olivia. Thank God you're here.
OLIVIA: Who are you?

-- ahahha. hahaha. Oh. My reaction to that is probably terribly inappropriate. But I just can't help it!


I featured two of them on my tumblr, courtesy of more talented & funnier people than me.

On the subject of hospital paper gowns & recognition

&

On the subject of...toast.

*ggg*

Date: 2011-10-16 10:56 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] doqz.livejournal.com
I am keeping up on Hulu this season, so am a week behind. That said - it's kind of sad, but I'd be quite fine with Olivia keeping Lincoln as a partner for the rest of show. He's a good influence, I feel. Peter can do his brooding/tortured hero thing every three episodes or so. Otherwise, I am not sure his services are all that required.

Date: 2011-10-16 11:14 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] kerithwyn.livejournal.com
You and many others of good taste, it seems. Peter was fine for three seasons but I haven't missed him one bit here (or while we were over in Red'verse last season, for that matter), whereas the thought of losing Lincoln makes me want to howl. It's a little unfair--Josh Jackson has done a fine job with the part. But yeah, the show no longer needs him and that's become apparent.

Date: 2011-10-17 01:59 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] kitchendinah.livejournal.com
While I agree wholeheartedly on the Peter & Olivia 4eva front, I tend to be of the opinion that we do need Peter around (if in much lesser doses) if for no other reason to keep Walter from fracturing further. I love cracked Walter, but Ambalter, while totally compelling and Emmy-worthy, is a little too damaged for me to really enjoy the mad science of it all.

Date: 2011-10-17 03:55 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] kerithwyn.livejournal.com
I was probably waxing a little hyperbolic. *g* Olivia comes off with quite a few bennies in the Peterless 'verse but yeah, Walter suffers for it.

Date: 2011-10-16 11:27 pm (UTC)
ziparumpazoo: (Fringe_rooftop)
From: [personal profile] ziparumpazoo
...actually, I have a thought on that, and it's not pleasant. So: Olivia runs away from the trials. Bell calls up Nina and says, "Look, one of our lab rats got away and it'd be counter-productive to drag her back. Keep an eye on her, would you?" Nina finds Olivia and works her way into the girl's life as a friendly guardian and mentor, all to keep an eye on her in case any powers activate.

I think this is exactly what happened. I never did trust Bell/Nina.

Date: 2011-10-17 12:03 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] kerithwyn.livejournal.com
Nina's a shark. She doesn't stop swimming for a compassionate interlude.

Date: 2011-10-17 09:11 pm (UTC)
ext_1771: Joe Flanigan looking A-Dorable. (olivia beaming - fringe)
From: [identity profile] monanotlisa.livejournal.com
This is so immensely quotable.

I just don't know WHERE yet...

Date: 2011-10-16 11:48 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] norgbelulah.livejournal.com
My sister and bestie will tell you, I spent the entire first half of the episode yelling, "Where's Lincoln?!" D: Before eventually realizing he was probably not going to be in the episode.

I understand his not being included in all this cortexiphan backstory, etc. because he would require so much more back story explanation than the audience, but it doesn't make me any less sad. :(

I am interested in future dynamics of the show with he and Olivia working together and also trying to somehow fit Peter into their investigations. ...which is actually what I *hope* will happen. What I fear is that Lincoln's appearance will just be as come and go as it was last season during the Olivia!Bell episode and they'll scrap him right away in the Blue!verse in favor of Peter and Olivia again.

Date: 2011-10-17 12:07 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] kerithwyn.livejournal.com
Oh, it was totally fair that Lincoln wasn't in the ep, given the topic. But "fair" and "I WANT" are pretty far apart in this. ;)

I'm hoping for that, too. He's become such an intrinsic part of the show, so fast, I'm afraid I'd have a lot of resentment toward Peter if he displaced Lincoln for good. (And at the same time, I'm sure there are a lot of Peter fans who feel the same about the current state of affairs. But again "I WANT" trumps all.)

Date: 2011-10-17 12:54 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] miss-porcupine.livejournal.com
I think this was the episode where my lack of knowledge cost me stuff, but there was a lot of 'Oh, Walter' (okay, that might've been permanent since he tried to self-lobotomize).

Much less icky than the mold or the brain-freezing serial killer.

Date: 2011-10-17 03:52 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] kerithwyn.livejournal.com
"Oh, Walter" is a constant refrain for the series. It's only the volume that differs.

If anything confused, I can catch you up. :)

Date: 2011-10-17 06:03 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] book232.livejournal.com
I agree on Nina. We never really knew what she was doing exactly, what her motives were. And as seen in 'LSD' last year, Olivia never fully trusted her. She was never a purely good person, always very mysterious and shadowy. So her little speech here was not really a surprise.

I'm super intrigued and interested in Olivia's relationship with Nina. Can't wait to find out more about this!

Nick Lane is alive! I have high hopes we'll get to see him again this season. PLEASE WRITERS.

And YES to Olivia being fine. I mean, I'm a huge P/O shipper, but I love that they're showing us that she is doing well on her own, that she's a healthy, mature, independend woman. Not someone who's lusting after a non-existant person, or any other person. She may be a tad lonely, but she does have people who care about her, and she's successful in her job. She's doing really fine. Can't wait to see how they will handle all this with Peter around now.

Date: 2011-10-17 04:06 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] kerithwyn.livejournal.com
I thought the bit in "LSD" was really telling, and I was happy to see it--Nina had softened a bit from the first season and I wanted the shark back. ;)

NICK LANE. Please, please.

*g* I probably come off as more opposed to P/O than I really am. As a show constant, it's fine. As Fated and Meant to Be? Not so much. On pins and needles for the next few eps, to see which way it's gonna swing.

Date: 2011-10-18 06:50 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] twilightthief.livejournal.com
Suffers from a terminal lack of LINCOLN*.

I felt the same!

I wanted Olivia and Lincoln to establish some sort of relationship before Peter got back but I guess that plan got shot to crap...

Oh..Ill def check out your delicious too. Thanks.

Date: 2011-10-18 03:45 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] kerithwyn.livejournal.com
I think there's a good foundation for Olivia and Lincoln already--they worked together so well in "Alone in the World," much better than Olivia and Peter did at first. And Olivia's going to be freaking out about Peter's knowledge of her, so who better to confide in than her new partner? (...well, Astrid. But that's even less likely, sadly.)

This is the hope I cling to. :D

Date: 2011-10-18 09:01 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] twilightthief.livejournal.com
Oooo I love this idea!

Olivia is disturbed that Peter claims to know her or had a relationship with her and it freaks her out. She turns to her colleagues and who better to vent to then her new partner Lincoln!? <3 I love that so much. I may have to run with the idea and write something for it!

Thanks for inspiration!

Date: 2011-10-18 10:05 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] kerithwyn.livejournal.com
You write it! I win! :D

Profile

kerithwyn: Oracle (Default)
kerithwyn

January 2025

S M T W T F S
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122 232425
262728293031 

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 22nd, 2026 07:33 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios